Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Week 9 winter quarter

Week nine started in Seattle at a Bird Language workshop presented by The Wilderness Awareness School. This workshop was so much fun. The presenter was full of pep and vigor as she pretended to be each bird. We learned the basics of different bird sounds and then got a chance to act them out in small groups. I had started to learn bird language at EAT, now six weeks later and after many visits to my secret spot, I had so many new questions. What I found to be the most helpful about the workshop was hearing the different sounds each bird makes. We focused on local species that are common and mostly ground feeders, Robin, Junko, Song Sparrow, and Towee. I realized that high pitch squeeze toy sound I heard at my spot was a Robin warning call, I always imagined a fluffy pink squeeze toy bird making that noise. I also learned that the little brown bird singing close to me at my spot was a song sparrow. Overall this workshop was a great start to identifying the sounds I hear each day at home, I felt excited and ready to learn more after it. I have also decided to get us a bird feeder so I can witness up close my bird neighbors.

I spent much time writing my summative essay on all the activities of this quarter. I realize how far I have come from the beginning. It has been quiet a journey into nature and into a way of learning I have wanted for a long time but am only now getting a chance to experiment with. It was a good experience seeing all that I have done, yet also daunting in presenting my writing through an essay format.

I have come to a good place in the final stages of my art installation. I have spent a lot of time worrying about this piece and have also had many different good ideas. I have stuck to the ones that make the most sense and I am happy with my work. I gathered the last stones for my labyrinth from a friends back yard. I have three possibilities for sound scapes on Sunday that would all work well. I gathered the birch bark to write the poem the piece is based on. It feels good to be here and to be ready to show my art to the public. I am happy I am creating DIY art space and adding beauty to my neighborhood. We shall see how I feel the day of the event, but for now I am content with my art.

No comments: